Facilitating thinking and problem solving: There are connections between visual cues, the memory process, and the recall of new knowledge. It has been shown that the creative challenge of using moving images and sound, to communicate a topic in a more engaging and insightful manner, also enables students to acquire a range of transferable skills in addition to the filmmaking itself. These include research skills, collaborative working, problem solving, technology, and organisational skills.
Collaboration and Integrated Learning: Group work and collaboration are a key part of academic studies. However, it is difficult to ensure every member of the group actively participates, especially the case in online courses with group written submissions. The use of a simple, collaborative, video-creation tool makes it easy for each participant to submit short videos outlining their contributions to the group assessment. This helps the assessor establish the role the person played and how active they were in contributing to the submission/paper. It also provides an important option for peer review and collaboration activities.
Assisting with mastery learning: Video is a principal medium in demonstrating mastery in learning, where a student can view or demonstrate complex procedures, as many times as they need to.
Inspiring and engaging students: There is strong evidence that digital video reporting can inspire and engage students when incorporated into student-centred learning activities through:
- increased student motivation
- enhanced learning experience
- higher marks
- development potential for deeper learning of the subject development potential for deeper learning of the subject development potential for deeper learning of the subject
- development of learner autonomy
- enhanced team working and communication skills
- a source of evidence relating to skills for interviews
- learning resources for future cohorts to use
- opportunities for staff development (CPD).
Integrations: Benchmark integrates into almost every LMS on the market using encrypted data and single sign-on (SSO).